Two men repatriated to Algeria against their will
The Obama administration has sent two prisoners, Djamel Ameziane and Belkacem Bensayah, back to Algeria against their will. Read more here.
Djamel Ameziane Belkacem Bensayah
New video quotes a hunger-striking prisoner
In Starving for Justice, Guantanamo attorney Buz Eisenberg shares unclassified notes from his recent visit with his client in Guantanamo. The video contains new insights into the cause and conduct of the strike.
Watch "Life at Gitmo" on 60 Minutes
Watch the November 17, 2013, 60 Minutes episode featuring audio of Shaker Aamer and an interview with his attorney, Clive Stafford Smith.
Berkeley (CA) City Council passes a resolution supporting Guantanamo closure, justice for detainees
Read the October 25, 2011, resolution here; news release here. Berkeley is now the third municipality, and the first city, to welcome cleared detainees who cannot safely return to their home countries.
The Bush administration created the Guantánamo Bay prison in Cuba, a prison at Bagram air base in Afghanistan, and other offshore prisons as "law-free zones" that it believed were exempt from U.S. and international law, including the Geneva Conventions and the nearly 800-year-old writ of habeas corpus. The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees.
Be part of the solution
- Engage the public in a fact-based dialogue about the planned closure of Guantánamo Bay prison and U.S. detainee policy
- Transform prisoners’ images in the U.S. from faceless, nameless “terrorists” to human beings who deserve human rights and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty
- Use prisoners’ stories to overcome unfounded fears of prisoners in your community
- New videos include a March 30 conversation on U.S. detention policies featuring Pardiss Kebriaei of the Center for Constitutional Rights and Michael Sullivan of Ashcroft Sullivan, and weekly vigils of the Des Moines Anti-Torture Collective.
- Show the remaining prisoners that the world has not forgotten them. Write a letter or send a card today.
- Updated toolkit to support grassroots public education about the planned closure of Guantánamo Bay prison, using prisoners' stories to overcome musunderstandings about the prisoners.
- Bagram Prison annotated list of prisoners compiled by Andy Worthington.
Four of the 162 detainees who remain at Guantánamo Bay prison
The prison at Bagram air force base in Afghanistan currently holds more than 1,500 detainees.