Just 60 prisoners remain at Guantanamo.
The Miami Herald's Guantánamo Periodic Review Guide provides an updated list of the men and their current status. Mohamedou Ould Slahi, author of Guantanamo Diary, returned to his native Mauritania on October 17, 2016.
In Obama admin's largest release, the Pentagon sends 15 prisoners to UAE
Sixty-one prisoners remain in Guantanamo. Spencer Ackerman reports for The Guardian.
Sign a Petition to Release Mohamedou Ould Slahi
Close Guantánamo Statement
Read a joint statement, join a rally and protest near you, and find out what YOU can do to help close Guantánamo Bay prison.
Expose Guantanamo through Public Readings of Guantánamo Diary
Put on a local public reading of excerpts from Mohamedou Ould Slahi's Guantánamo Diary. Find scripts and suggestions for your local reading here.
The Senate CIA Torture Report is here.
It's time for the American people to stop believing false claims that 'torture works'. And besides, even if it did work, that does not justify using it.
The Bush administration created the Guantánamo Bay prison in Cuba, a prison at Bagram air base in Afghanistan, and other offshore prisons as "law-free zones" that it believed were exempt from U.S. and international law, including the Geneva Conventions and the nearly 800-year-old writ of habeas corpus. The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees.
Be part of the solution
- Engage the public in a fact-based dialogue about the planned closure of Guantánamo Bay prison and U.S. detainee policy
- Transform prisoners’ images in the U.S. from faceless, nameless “terrorists” to human beings who deserve human rights and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty
- Use prisoners’ stories to overcome unfounded fears of prisoners in your community
- New videos include a March 30 conversation on U.S. detention policies featuring Pardiss Kebriaei of the Center for Constitutional Rights and Michael Sullivan of Ashcroft Sullivan, and weekly vigils of the Des Moines Anti-Torture Collective.
- Show the remaining prisoners that the world has not forgotten them. Write a letter or send a card today.
- Updated toolkit to support grassroots public education about the planned closure of Guantánamo Bay prison, using prisoners' stories to overcome musunderstandings about the prisoners.
- Bagram Prison annotated list of prisoners compiled by Andy Worthington.
There are 60 detainees still at Guantánamo Bay prison; about half were cleared of any connection to terrorism years ago.
The prison at Bagram air force base in Afghanistan currently holds more than 1,500 detainees.